Tuesday, September 9, 2008

there's still time to garden

My yard, I call it my garden like the french, le jardin, which is all of it, not just the flower or vegetable beds. Today, this gorgeous late afternoon fall day I gardened. I start where I'm lead.  It's not conscious, more intuitive.  

I'm in awe of the enormity of a single unit of crab grass. It's impressive. Sadly, I must ask them to leave areas that are not appropriate for them to be spreading their wings.  As I pull them out, I marvel.  What creatures they are. 

I've taken time to pull out a rose bed that's not working.  I'm considering what wants to live here next.  Perhaps this will be my last project for this season before putting the garden to bed for the winter. I am satistfied just to pull weeds and to say hello. We have reconnected and I feel good for having done so.

Jill Butler
www.jillbutler.com
author/ Illustrator
Create the Space You Deserve
plus three illustrated France travel guides

2 comments:

Joanne said...

This is such a nice time of year to garden, the sun's not too strong, the zinnias & marigolds are such rich colors. The season passes quickly, doesn't it?

Sandy said...

Gardens, like people (men mostly) flourish and flounder and inspire and frustrate. At least with crab grass it is easily pulled and discarded. Nature teaches us so much if we will only stop, look listen and feel.