Monday, September 22, 2008

I am not my “to do” list ~or am I?


I fear for my life when the to do lists take over. Notice plural. I can’t live without them and I can barely live with them. Of course, there’s more than one. They grow, they multiply, they spawn themsleves into more, more, and more.  I write my lists to capture the stuff of life. I write them with ideas not to forget; a fleeting idea of which there are many. I write them for the cottage maintenance projects or new ideas for the corner garden I recently ripped out. It’s the chaos corner of the property planted with impossible roses.

Then there’s the food shopping, drugstore, drycleaner and hardware store lists. I wonder why I bother with the grocery store list. Right now I know I'm out of the basics, the emergnecy foods of eggs, cheese, a package of linguine and a can of clams. Often I forget to eat what I've bought. Or I've bought what I'm no longer in the mood for. When I'm feeling like nesting, I overbuy and then that idea goes away. In a moments notice, I don’t want to be home for dinner. I want to be out in the world. So why to have bothered with that list?

Jill Butler
Author, Illustrator
Create the Space You Deserve
An Artistic Journey to Expressing
Yourself Through Your Home
www.jillbutler.com

1 comment:

Joanne said...

I'm a To-Do List person too. It helps clear the cluttering thoughts, if nothing else! Happy listing ...