Friday, February 29, 2008

The Bird in the Cottage Nest

We gals love creating our nest, unless we don't. It's style, size, location, matters. What matters most is its coziness, warmth, and nurturing nature. My nest is a cottage. Post divorce and a return to the US, having lived in Paris for 16 years, caused me to do reconsider, all of it! What was to be important for this next phase of my life? 
Right-sizing into a home that would nurture and express the evolving new me screamed out. Questioning, asking, sharing with kindred spirits who had traveled or were traveling this road, let me know, I was not alone. It's good to know we're not alone. They were generous in their sharing.

The biggest question to consider was:
why bother? why bother to change anything?
why not just feel sorry for myself?

It was a seesaw ~
move on...don't move on
change...don't change
take responsibility...i'd rather not
it's all too hard...what if?
I waffled, whined and waivered.

Gradually with time and a lot of help, I decided! And what I decided was: I was worth, as we all are, the effort and the best I could create for myself. No matter how difficult things get, by holding the vision for ourselves, life begins to take on new meaning. 
With time and courage, we see where we've arrived. As we change, all that is around us changes. Most visually profound are our spaces, our nests, our homes. Winston Churchill's quote resonates. "We create our dwellings and afterwards our dwellings create us." or is it the other way around? jb

Jill Butler
Author of Create the Space you Deserve
Creator JillsBirds'nWords TM
www.jillbutler.com

No comments: